ISO 45001 Occupational health and safety management system ISO 45001’ The new standard is designed to help organizations around the world ensure the health and safety of the people who make their business possible.
ISO 45001 will require an organization to look beyond its immediate health and safety issues and take into account what the wider society expects of it. Organizations will have to think about their contractors and suppliers, as well as the effects their activities have on neighboring communities.
Benefits of ISO 45001
Occupational health and safety management system ISO 45001:
- Developing and implementing an OH&S policy and OH&S objectives
- Establishing systematic processes which consider its “context” and which take into account its risks and opportunities, and its legal and other requirements
- Determining the hazards and OH&S risks associated with its activities; seeking to eliminate them, or putting in controls to minimize their potential effects
- Establishing operational controls to manage its OH&S risks and its legal and other requirements
increasing awareness of its OH&S risks
- Evaluating its OH&S performance and seeking to improve it, through taking appropriate actions
- Ensuring workers take an active role in OH&S matters
Who Need ISO 29001
ISO/TS 29001 is available for use by manufacturers of oil and gas industry equipment and materials (upstream and downstream), service providers to the oil and gas industry, purchasers of equipment, materials, and services.
- Making a self-determination and self-declaration, or
- Seeking confirmation of its conformance by parties having an interest in the organization, such as customers,
- Seeking confirmation of its self-declaration by a party external to the organization, or
- Seeking certification/registration of its environmental management system by an external organization.
The new version includes a requirement to understand the organization’s context in order to better manage risk, with more emphasis made on leaders within organizations to promote environmental management. In addition, there is a shift towards improving environmental performance as well as improving the management system.
- enhancement of environmental performance;
- fulfilment of compliance obligations;
- achievement of environmental objectives
The 2018 revision of 45001 has been written using the new high level structure, Annex SL, which is shared by all new ISO management system standards. This will simplify integration when implementing more than one management system.
The revision of ISO 45001 aims to integrate the organization’s into the core organizational strategy. To this end the following changes have been made:
- Increased accountability of leadership.
- Life cycle approach.
- Rethinking impact
- Risks and opportunities.
- Pro-active reporting.
- Strengthened compliance.
- Continual improvement.